Tuesday, March 10, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, REALLY???

Thank you, I think????
My sweet mother gave me laser hair removal for my birthday last October and I have been going every six weeks since then. Tonight I just finished my 5th appointment. I refer to it as my "taser" appointment.
As a cancer survivor, I have been through a lot, but I think that all of my pain tolerance was used up years ago. Next to a bone marrow aspiration I think that this might possibly be the most painful thing I have ever had to endure. It is good that I have six weeks to forget exactly HOW painful it is before I return for my next appointment.
I was talking to my mom right before I left for my appointment tonight and she said "be brave....at least it is not a spinal tap." (as a cancer kid, I had a spinal tap ever two weeks for two years). For the record....I think I would pick a spinal tap over this. Yes, a spinal tap is painful, but it is quick.
It is hard to describe exactly what the laser feels like, but I have heard it described as being snapped with a rubber band....okay, maybe if you consider being snapped REALLY HARD, with a REALLY BIG rubber band over and over again for about 30 minutes and without too much information, certain areas hurt worse than others.
I have also heard it described as a hot, serrated knife being dragged over your skin, feeling like your body is on fire and even child birth. Having not experienced any of these, I can't really comment on how accurate those descriptions are,
I am just hoping that a shave-free swimsuit season will make the gain worth the pain.
Now I just need to shed some pounds to look great in that swimsuit.

9 comments:

Deidra said...

I LOVE the picture! Um, can I ask? What are you having lasered? I need to find out if this is really permanent. Let me know in one year. Thanks.

Lara said...

I have heard it is sooooo painful! I hope it works. It sounds so appealing....until I hear about the pain.

Taylor's said...

Okay I can't not stop laughing at that entry - simply awesome and well put but don't let Jeff know about it because he wants his face done. I can't want to hear about the results and how well it works!

Debra and Ryan said...

Worse than a spinal tap?? I think you are exaggerating a little. I have been "tasered" many times. I would rather have my entire body lasered from head to toe than even think about a huge needle going into my back! Ouch.

Trisha said...

Have you ever had a spinal tap? At least you are only in pain for about 25 seconds and they numb the area first. Of course, I was used to being treated like a human pin cushion back in the day.

Unknown said...

Love it T! Especially the picture. I laughed my head off that you call it "tasered!" What are you going to ask Mom for this year. . . be careful because you will get it! Ang

Emily said...

Wow...I think maybe I'll stick to shaving. You are so brave, and if it hurts worse than a spinal tap....I am definitely sticking to shaving! I want to know if it works though.

todd and jeanette said...

i've always about getting things lasered- especially while i am shaving or putting on deodorant. thanks for the honesty and great description. i'll think of you each time i pull out my razor in the shower. like others before me- i'd like to know the long term outcome.

Cherish Cowley said...

That is so funny! I love your take on things Trisha! I have wanted to go get it done, but the pain keeps me away. That picture is great!