Friday, March 6, 2009

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA IS THERE.......

......INSIDE MY MIND.
Last night I went with a friend to see
"The Phantom of the Opera"
at the Hale Center Theater.

"The Phantom of the Opera" is a French book written by Gaston Leroux in 1910 (translated into English in 1911). It is known by many because of the 1986 Musical adaptation by Andrew Lloyd Webber and the 2004 box office hit.
I guess that I knew all of this but hadn't really ever thought it through that because it was first a book, all stage productions are not necessarily the same.
Okay......so here is the point of this post.......
Although the Hale Center Theater production was very impressive, it was VERY different from the Andrew Lloyd Webber version. The story was different in parts and the music was ALL new. I knew all of this going into it. There were parts of the story in the HCT version that I preferred, but I really missed the music that I was familiar with and LOVE! And since music is a big part of musicals, I think that I prefer Andrew Lloyd Webbers adaptation, but that is only one person's opinion.

4 comments:

Mike and Alleen said...

I can't imagine watching it without music, but I'm a huge fan of musicals. I saw Phantom at Capital Theatre and loved it. Les Miserable is by far my favorite though.

Trisha said...

This version of Phantom did have music, but it just wasn't the music that I was familiar with and LOVE.
I think I am one of the few people that loves Phantom more than Les Miserables.

Lara said...

I can't imagine Phantom without the "phantom" music that I am used to. I am with Alleen though, Les Mis is the best. I have seen Phantom in Vegas and it was pretty darn good. I get to see Wicked in April. I can't wait!

todd and jeanette said...

i love phantom! todd teases me because i love it so much and despise les miserables. i had too many bad experiences in high school of girls singing "on my own" as semester finals in choir classes. i still get shivers up my sine thinking about it...