
I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, but my family moved to Richfield, UT (or as we called it "Cow Town) when I was 14. Therefore, I am "city girl" that loves the country life.
Richfield was a completely different world, and I found myself suddenly immersed in a whole new culture & way of life. Among other things, I learned to LOVE country music!
"The Song Remembers When" is not only a Trisha Yearwood song, but it is also an interesting concept that I have found to be true, more and more over the years.
I remember my mom always talking about how anytime the Elton John song, "Bennie & the Jets" comes on the radio, she get nauseous because that song was on the radio all the time when she was first pregnant and had morning sickness.
I was a huge Whitney Houston fan back in the 80's, and when I heard that she had passed away, I had to go home and pull out my old cassette tapes. (Yes, I still have cassette tapes and my home stereo will still play them). Wow!! I can picture myself in my bedroom in Sandy, just singing at the top of my lungs to my favorite Whitney ballads.
Well, recently I discovered a 90's Country station on Pandora and found myself re-united with some of my favorite country songs from my high school days. Crazy how a song can start playing and can take you back to such vivid memories from your past. Maybe it is just me, but I can hear a song and immediately, I am back at a school or stake dance, dancing with ______________, or just takes me back to a certain time in my life. Many church hymns remind me of my mission, or a particular ward choir that I sang in.
Also, right after my mission, my family went to Hawaii and we usually had the TV on in our Condo while getting ready in the mornings. I don't know why, (maybe it was the only thing on), but we seemed to always have the TV on the music video channel. It seemed like every couple of videos was the TLC song, "No Scrubs." Being mostly a country music fan, I don't think I had ever heard that song, and even though I am not a fan, if I ever hear that song, I find myself back in Hawaii just laughing and having a great time with my family. Good times!!
It has been fun listening to some of my favorite songs from my past and thinking back on the good memories that so easily come back to me through music.
1 comment:
Yes, that is to true about music! I will be in town for the 4th, but not for long, we are headed to Lake Powell that night. We need to plan something so we can all get together soon!
Post a Comment