Friday, July 20, 2007

TO CATCH A BOUQUET

In my last entry I mentioned that my sister just got married making me the last remaining single in my family. Most of my friends are married, as are all of my cousins older than me and several of the younger ones. Anyway, my point is that I think it is about my turn, so I was determined to catch the bouquet this time around (understanding, of course that the whole "catching the bouquet" thing is purely superstition and is not a guarantee). However, I figure that I can use all the help that I can get, superstitious or not.
Let me set the stage...............It was the summer of 1999. I was 22 and had been home from my mission for only a couple of months and my oldest sister was getting married. She and I had it all planned. She was going to toss the bouquet right to me. So bouquet tossing time arrives and there was a whole herd of single gals crowded together just hoping and wishing and wishing and hoping that they would be the lucky catchee, thus increasing their chances for an opportunity to tie the knot, but I had insider information. I was going to be the lucky one that night, or so I thought. In case you hadn't noticed, I am not the tallest person in the world measuring in at 5' nothing on a good day. My sister turned around, wound up, and the bouquet went flying. It was right on track, coming straight towards me when my 14 year-old cousin, Cheryl (who has several inches on me) practically tackled me to secure a nice catch of the bouquet. Needless to say, I was not happy.
Okay, so back to present day 2007...........Cheryl was in London and would not be attending this wedding celebration, however her sister Lindsay was going to be there and is one of the only other singles girls that I knew I had to worry about as competition for said bouquet. We had a family reunion the Monday before the wedding and I had a serious talk with Lindsay about the bouquet tossing. She agreed that although she towers over me, she would let me catch it. So the time came for the "tossing of the bouquet" and they called for all single girls. My cousin Lindsay and I ended up being the only ones up for the toss. I am pleased to report that I am the proud new owner of a beautiful bouquet.
Maybe now after I make a wish upon a star, throw some salt over my shoulder and throw a nickle in a wishing well I might actually meet my prince charming. . . I will keep you posted. ( **Posted** No pun intended).

1 comment:

Scullerina said...

Very amusing post about bouquet catching. I especially love the photos of you with the hottie! Roar!
--Amy