Sunday, September 2, 2007

GENERAL CONFERENCE ON STEROIDS


Two weeks ago I decided to take the whole week off of work to attend "BYU Education Week" with my mom.

We were staying with my aunt & uncle at their "get-away" in Saratoga Springs. Not only did we learn alot, but we had a lot of fun.

I LOVE general conference, it always motivates me and makes me excited to "be a little better," and to step it up a notch. Education Week was like general conference on steroids . . . . lasting 5 days instead of just 2.

Although motivating, these opportunities are always humbling. They remind me of how much I don't know and how much better I can do. I am always jealous of those who are basically paid to study the scriptures (seminary, institute, religion teachers, etc.) How do they know sooo much? I guess if I were to study and teach about the scriptures the amount of time that I spent at work, I would know a lot more!!

I think that everyone knows certain teachers that they enjoy the most because of a particular teaching style. I have always love S. Michael Wilcox. I made sure that I went to all of his classes. The first day he taught a 3 part class on parables. It was fabulous. I am very left-brained and seem to struggle with interpreting symbolism. It always makes sense when someone explains it to me, but I never would have come up with that on my own. If I do try to interpret the symbolism, how am I to know if I am correct? Math always made sense to me, because 2+2 will always be 4.

Then on Friday he taught a 2 part class on Friday on "The Contributions of C.S. Lewis to Chirstianity." Bro. Wilcox did his Ph.d dissertation on C.S. Lewis. I loved the class, but now I feel like I want to read all of C.S. Lewis's books. As if the list of books I want to read isn't long enough already.

Now general conference is in one month. How lucky am I??

No comments: