Thursday, August 21, 2008

DOWN WITH DRESSAGE & MORE ON THE OLYMPICS


Thanks to the comment from my friend Amy, I would like to add Misty May-Treanor's butt to my anatomical wish list. (Actually, almost any olympians butt would most likely be an improvement over the one I am currently sporting). Most of the pictures I found of Misty May were too indecent to post, but I think this one is probably alright.
This brings me to the topic of the outfits (if they can even be called that) of the beach volleyball players. I don't think that a little more material would hurt their game, but would probably only hurt the ratings due to a decrease in male viewership. The male beach volleyball players seem to do just fine while wearing a significantly greater amount of material while playing.
I would now like to address the 10 minutes that I wasted that I will never be able to get back.
One night while watching the Olympics on NBC I decided to check out what events were being broadcast on some of the other channels. After seeing that MSNBC was broadcasting wrestling, I quickly changed the channel and went to OXYGEN where they were broadcasting the Equestrian event "DRESSAGE." WOW......if that isn't the dumbest "event" I have ever witnessed, I don't know what is? I was not "getting it" so I stayed on that channel to see if it was going to get any more exciting....jumping through flaming rings or something??? Unfortunately it just got worse and I can never get that 10 minutes back. I didn't know and for anyone else that doesn't know what Dressage (pronounced like massage) is I have provided a short description.
The French word for "training," dressage is a harmonious demonstration of the horse's three natural gaits (walk, trot and canter) and its ability to respond to the rider's commands as the horse performs a series of movements in prearranged order. Throughout the course the rider directs the horse to perform movements. They are also judged on the trot, canter, pirouette, piaffe and passage. Riders, who must memorize the test in order to guide their horses through it, may not use their voices throughout the competition. Riding whips are also forbidden in the ring, but spurs are required, allowing riders to demonstrate the ability to convey light pressure to the horse. In order to perform well in dressage, the horse must be calm, supple, loose and flexible, but also confident, attentive and keen, showing a perfect understanding with its rider.
I am not saying that "Dressage" is necessarily a bad thing and that it doesn't require talent, but half of the credit should go to the horse and I think it belongs in a horse show NOT the olympics.

**I apologize if I have offended anyone with my disregard for Dressage. Maybe I need to understand it better to really appreciate it. Ü **

9 comments:

Amy B. said...

Not to be Les-bo or gross or anything, but I like the bikini look...They look so strong and ripped!

Jolynn said...

I'm with you. Dressage definitely should not be an olympic sport. Something just looks wrong with the picture of those guys in their riding outfits wearing gold medals. Weird!

And I thought the same thing about the women's volleyball outfits. Can't we all just put some clothes on???!!!

Alicia said...

I'm with ya' on the volleyball! Wow...what is the point of that!? Props to the two of them for being so fabulous...but, it just looks like a whole lot of sand and wedgies to me. Sorry if that was too graphic. I just saw your posts about your cruise! I'm so jealous!!! Wow! How fun!. And, even though I'm too late...my current vote for the comfy shoes of the year has to go to the "FitFlops" they sell at Bath & Body. I'm in love! Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post and had no idea what dressage was --- thanks for the education. I didn't realize some "athletes" had to ship their horse to China to compete. Wow!
Amy R

Andy said...

Don't you think the male volleyball players could move more easily sans shirts?

Coco said...

you're hilarious! i'm with you on the whole dressage thing...don't get it.

Kimba said...

WHY DID I MISS THIS?!?!?! HILARIOUS!!! But I sort of have to agree, any equestrian event seems a little strange to me. Who's the real Olympian? Right?

Hanson's said...

Thank you for the giggle. Wow! I'm with you on the volleyball outfits, or non-outfits. Isn't that a little uncomfortable.

As to Dressage, was not aware it was a sport. Can't figure out why they are getting rid of softball, but keeping Dressage. Go figure.

My son thought it was funny to yell, "Go CHINA" Guess it's a good thing that he even knows that it is a country.

schaars said...

Hey Girlie I can't believe that you leave for your FABULOUS european adventure in 17 days I am so JEALOUS! You make me laugh about the drassage I love anything with horses and LOVE watching it seriously that would take some major talent to get the horses to do what they do!!! I know you are thinking I am crazy! Hope all is well I miss you talk to you soon. Also I am adding you to my friends on my blog so I can keep a better eye on you I hope thats ok???