Thursday, April 23, 2009

PAPER (FABRIC) OR PLASTIC??

First, I just want to say that this post was in no way influenced by "EARTH DAY," nor am I campaigning for any environmental cause. This is strictly an observation that makes me wonder about the common sense of some people.

As I am sure you know, right now there is a big push to buy and reuse fabric grocery bags in place of using so many plastic bags in an attempt to help the envrionment.
I continue to use the plastic sacks. (but I believe that I am still a good person).

Okay so here is what baffles me........

In high school I worked at a grocery store. Before working the customer service/video rental counter, I was a "bagger," and I think I was a pretty good one at that. What I don't understand is ........ if we are using way too many plastic sacks, why is there no effort being made by the store's baggers to use less bags??

I try my very best to help out the baggers by grouping all of my items as I pull them out of my cart. I put all of the produce, cans, boxes, chips, non-food items, etc. together to try and make things easier.
So why is it that..........
  • my hamburger buns were in a bag getting smashed with an onion and a bottle of salsa
  • there were only 3 items in said bag.
  • one bag only had a box of crackers and some cheese in it.
  • one bag only had a box of Q-tips in it....I get the whole "don't combine non-food items with food" thing, but I really don't think Q-tips will contaminate a box of Rice-A-Roni??

Are ya kiddin' me??? I could have fit everything that I bought tonight in 1/2 (or less) than the number of bags that I brought home AND I wouldn't have flattened hamburger buns or smashed chips.

4 comments:

Ann Marie said...

I see the very same thing. I have no idea why they do that. Maybe they need lessons from Trisha on it!

Trisha said...

Yes, I think I could definitely teach them a thing or two, but one would think that is just common sense, right?
I also get that you don't want to put too much weight in a bag, but that is the ironic thing....they will put two boxes of Rice-A-Roni in one bag and then try to jam 4 2 liter bottles of soda pop in one bag. Yes, they fit, but I see a disaster waiting to happen when that bag breaks. I don't get it??

Hanson's said...

I go to the self check out and generally try to put all of my purchases in one bag. Hmmm. Sometimes it works. I do have to say,though, Trader Joes has some pretty cool bags. I stole my moms, and use them for Libary bags. Quite handy.

Kimba said...

I do the EXACT SAME THING. We had to bag our own groceries at the store in Oregon (kept their prices low, they said) and so I got really good at bagging, or at least, to my standards. I always put my produce together, my fridge items, freezer items, boxes...they never keep them together. Drives me INSANE.